Today I want to talk about one of our products that is enjoying great success among our customers for its cleaning performance in the resins and composites sector. I’m talking about Serimax Ultra, a solvent similar to acetone but with marked improvements in terms of safety and consumption.
Serimax Ultra is a rapid evaporation solvent for cleaning unpolymerized polyester, epoxy and gelcoat resins on application tools. Very fast evaporation rate and no risk pictogram for operators, make Serimax Ultra particularly suitable for acetone replacement; furthermore, like acetone, the product is distillable between 117 and 162 ° C at atmospheric pressure.
In the following photos, you can see how Serimax Ultra is able to clean the acetate resin, fiberglass application equipment equally effectively.
I remind you that Acetone is extremely flammable. With a flash point of -18°C, it is a particularly dangerous solvent to use. In addition, fumes form explosive mixtures in the air.
With a vapor pressure of 27.4 kPa, acetone is very volatile, comparable to ether, and its application requires repeating several times to obtain good cleaning. If its price seems economical, the quantities that need to be used are significant, not to mention the unavoidable losses through evaporation.
Acetone is not without risk in terms of health:
– Irritation of the skin and mucous membranes,
– Serious Cat.2 eye damage,
– Central nervous system depression in cases of high exposure,
– Headache, dizziness, intoxication, comas, in certain convulsive cases,
– Nausea, vomiting, hematemesis, metabolic acidosis,
– Cat.3 narcotic effects,
– Specific toxicity for certain target organs,
– Obligatory exposure value 500 ppm Art. 4412-149 of the Labour Code.
As a reminder, any storage, implementation or use of an extremely flammable liquid must be declared to the insurance companies.